Exploring the future of the Holendrechterpolder
On behalf of Stichting Duurzaam Agrarisch Natuurbeheer (DAN), Vogelbescherming, and Landschap Noord-Holland, Nature^Squared has carried out an exploration into the Holendrechterpolder.
The Holendrechterpolder is a unique area, situated in between two major highways leading to Amsterdam: the A2 en A9. It’s a small area that is of great value to the entrepreneurial farmers and the meadow birds. Throughout the years, the Holendrechterpolder has undergone many changes: the area has decreased in size, a highway has been built, the number of active farmers has fallen, land positions have fallen into the hands of governments, and part of the area has recently been converted into nature. These developments also signal opportunities for the area. The polder can be further developed into a demonstration site on the combination of meadow bird management and extensive agricultural use. Het Landje Van Geijsel provides a good example of how this can go hand-in-hand and is known in the region. The proximity of Amsterdam is favorable and provides additional opportunities for alternative business cases.
The team of Nature^Squared has immersed themselves in the area and has spoken with residents and active farmers in and around the area about their ideas for the future of the Holendrechterpolder. Ultimately, it is about what the people involved want with their area and what role they see for themselves. In addition, we have had conversations with stakeholders outside the area to gather inspiration for ideas and initiatives. We have shared these proposed ideas with the farmers and residents in the area for whom it served as interesting found food for thought. In the follow-up phase, the stakeholders in the area will reflect upon their own role. To be continued.
- A green plus for climate adaptation 12 November 2019
- Demystifying Green Finance 4 November 2019
- Sustainable cotton value chain for Iron Roots 15 October 2019
- Alumni event 9 October 2019
- Accounting for a Better Planet 30 September 2019
- Green Crown 2010 – And the winners are… 18 September 2019
- Exploring the future of the Holendrechterpolder 9 September 2019
- Feasibility study grass seed bank project in southern Kenya 7 August 2019
- Food Forest business models 11 July 2019
- Green Crown competition 2019 1 July 2019
- Greener.LAND 20 June 2019
- Tiny houses? New nature! 12 June 2019
- Pig tractor allows pig farming to travel through the countryside 28 May 2019
- Amstel Farmers Dairy 17 May 2019
- The foreign office 13 May 2019