Tiny houses? New nature!
It’s not easy to develop additional natural areas in the Netherlands. Nevertheless, we have agreed that by 2027 we want to realize 80.000 hectares of extra nature. This is stated in the Nature Pact between the 12 provinces and the central government. So many hectares of new nature will not be realized overnight and this endeavor is, therefore, quite a challenge.
Creating more nature is not only important for biodiversity restoration but is also one of the best strategies to achieve the objectives set in the Paris agreement. After all, trees and plants absorb CO2 from the atmosphere in order to grow. Nature also provides the solution for mitigating and adapting to weather extremes, i.e. through water buffering and cooling.
Here lies a great opportunity to develop nature on agricultural land. A quarter of Dutch farmers voice their desire to stop in the coming years in absence of a successor. But how to transform a plot of agricultural land with an average value of €60.000 into nature with virtually no economic value? By combining functions. What if you allow one or multiple Tiny Houses on your land? These sustainable homes grow in popularity and can be easily rented or sold. Tiny Houses are inextricably linked to a green environment, creating a business model for realizing the surrounding nature. Following this line of thought, Nature^Squared, Staatsbosbeheer en IMI have joined forces. On behalf of the Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality, we have set up the New Forest and Tiny Houses Test Lab. We recently started exploring opportunities for various provinces and municipalities.
Perhaps you work at a municipality or province and are triggered by this message. Or this message raises a lot of questions, e.g. about legal issues. In both cases, we would like to invite you for the information meeting on 24 June (09:30 – 12:30) at the provincial government office in Overrijsel. You can register by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Ereprijs (Overijssel) launched 24 December 2019
- Community of Practice Business in Landscapes 24 December 2019
- Manifest of the Amsterdam wedges 20 December 2019
- Workshop verdienmodellen voor voedselbossen 12 December 2019
- Reflections on the Global Landscape Forum: The Investment Case 3 December 2019
- New types of rural housing can help solve the nitrogen problem 26 November 2019
- A green plus for climate adaptation 12 November 2019
- Demystifying Green Finance 4 November 2019
- Sustainable cotton value chain for Iron Roots 15 October 2019
- Landscape Finance Framework 15 October 2019
- Alumni event 9 October 2019
- Accounting for a Better Planet 30 September 2019
- Green Crown 2010 – And the winners are… 18 September 2019
- Exploring the future of the Holendrechterpolder 9 September 2019
- Feasibility study grass seed bank project in southern Kenya 7 August 2019