Tiny houses? New nature!
It’s not easy to develop additional natural areas in the Netherlands. Nevertheless, we have agreed that by 2027 we want to realize 80.000 hectares of extra nature. This is stated in the Nature Pact between the 12 provinces and the central government. So many hectares of new nature will not be realized overnight and this endeavor is, therefore, quite a challenge.
Creating more nature is not only important for biodiversity restoration but is also one of the best strategies to achieve the objectives set in the Paris agreement. After all, trees and plants absorb CO2 from the atmosphere in order to grow. Nature also provides the solution for mitigating and adapting to weather extremes, i.e. through water buffering and cooling.
Here lies a great opportunity to develop nature on agricultural land. A quarter of Dutch farmers voice their desire to stop in the coming years in absence of a successor. But how to transform a plot of agricultural land with an average value of €60.000 into nature with virtually no economic value? By combining functions. What if you allow one or multiple Tiny Houses on your land? These sustainable homes grow in popularity and can be easily rented or sold. Tiny Houses are inextricably linked to a green environment, creating a business model for realizing the surrounding nature. Following this line of thought, Nature^Squared, Staatsbosbeheer en IMI have joined forces. On behalf of the Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality, we have set up the New Forest and Tiny Houses Test Lab. We recently started exploring opportunities for various provinces and municipalities.
Perhaps you work at a municipality or province and are triggered by this message. Or this message raises a lot of questions, e.g. about legal issues. In both cases, we would like to invite you for the information meeting on 24 June (09:30 – 12:30) at the provincial government office in Overrijsel. You can register by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sustainable cotton value chain for Iron Roots 15 October 2019
- Alumni event 9 October 2019
- Accounting for a Better Planet 30 September 2019
- Green Crown 2010 – And the winners are… 18 September 2019
- Exploring the future of the Holendrechterpolder 9 September 2019
- Feasibility study grass seed bank project in southern Kenya 7 August 2019
- Food Forest business models 11 July 2019
- Green Crown competition 2019 1 July 2019
- Greener.LAND 20 June 2019
- Tiny houses? New nature! 12 June 2019
- Pig tractor allows pig farming to travel through the countryside 28 May 2019
- Amstel Farmers Dairy 17 May 2019
- The foreign office 13 May 2019
- Serious game: Urban Green Finance 27 March 2019
- Business & Biodiversity (3/3): The Short Circuit Project 14 March 2019